Zucchini and Sundried Tomato Calzone
These delightful Italian bread pasties are equally fantastic for lunches, picnics, or hot out of the oven for tea.
3 cups Wholemeal flour
1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon Sugar
7 grams Dried yeast (One sachet is usually 7-8 grams)
2 tablespoons Vegetable oil
1 Onion (Large)
600 grams Zuchinni (Also called Courgette)
2 cloves Garlic (Crushed)
1 teaspoon Black Pepper (Freshly ground)
300 grams Silken tofu (Soft)
3 tablespoons Corn flour (Also called Corn starch)
1⁄2 cup Sundried tomatoes (About 100g)
4 teaspoons Basil (dried)
1 hour, 15 minutes
To Make Dough
- Mix the first four ingredients in a bowl
- Add the oil and water and mix to a soft dough and knead for a minute or two
- Place back into the bowl, cover and let rise for about 30 minutes
In the meantime, make the filling
To Make Filling
- Heat the oil in a fry pan, add onions, zucchini,and garlic and saute for about 5 minutes until the zucchini is just beginning to soften.
- Add basil, salt and pepper
- Place in a strainer to remove excess juices In a large mixing bowl.
- Mash the tofu with the cornflour
- When the zucchini mix has cooled, add this to tofu along with the sundried tomatoes. Mix well.
- Punch down the risen dough.
- Place onto floured bench and cut into 12 even pieces.
- With a rolling pin, roll out each piece of dough into a circle of about 10cm in diameter.
- Place about 2 heaped tablespoons of filling onto each piece of dough.
- Fold the dough over to cover filling and seal well by pinching the ends of the dough together.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius.
- Place the calzones on a lightly oiled baking tray and let rise again for about 10 minutes until the oven preheats.
- Bake for about 30 minutes
Serve with a crisp green salad